Combining our passions for nature and the environment,and our commitment to early childhood education, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Case Western Reserve University's Schubert Center for Child Studies are excited to present David Sobel for a day-long symposium focusing on play. Sobel is an educator at Antioch University New England and author who focuses on outdoor education and play. His areas of expertise include developmentally appropriate environmental education, place-based education, inquiry-based science,cognitive development and developmental theory, school improvement, and parenting with nature. He received an MEd from Antioch University.
Morning Session 8am to Noon
Keynote Lecture: Place-based education: Test scores and going beyond test scores
Local panel featuring:
- Terrence Allan, MPH, Health Commissioner, Cuyahoga County Board of Health (CCBOH)
- James Bader, MS, Director of the Gelfand STEM Center, Case Western Reserve University (CWRU)
- Eric S. Gordon, MEd, Chief Executive Officer, Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD)
- Sharon L. Graper, MA, Manager of Academic Services, The Holden Arboretum
- Billie Osborne-Fears, MSSA, Executive Director, Starting Point
- Sandra W. Russ, PhD, Professor of Psychology, Case Western Reserve University
- Moderator: Gabriella Celeste, JD, Child Policy Director, Schubert Center for Child Studies
Afternoon Lunch and Workshops Noon to 4:30pm
- The Magic of Childhood: The Hershey Children’s Garden as a Learning Space
- Applying the Small Worlds Principle in Curriculum Development In Childhood and Nature: Design Principles for Educators, presented by David Sobel
The morning symposium is free and open to the public, however pre-registration is required. The first 150 registrants will received a free copy of Childhood and Nature.
Please register in advance by calling 216-721-1600, extension 100.
Full-day participation (including the morning symposium, afternoon workshops, lunch, parking and materials). is $35 for Garden members, $42 non-members and includes lunch, parking and educational materials.