Note: Priority will be given to applications received by the deadline (November 1 or March 30), but applications received after these dates will still be considered.
The Schubert Center for Child Studies and the Childhood Studies Program at Case Western Reserve University collaborate with public and non-profit community organizations to offer Mann Child Policy Externships. These externships create a rigorous educational and civic experience by giving undergraduates an opportunity to work directly with professionals who design and implement policies that impact the lives of children and families. Students gain first-hand perspectives on the policy process by engaging in planning, research, analysis, and/or advocacy activities emphasizing policy related to children and childhood.
Mann Child Policy Externship opportunities for students:
- Provide students with an opportunity to work directly with professionals who design and implement policies that impact the lives of children and their families.
- Allow students to work with agencies active in social policy affecting children and childhood.
- Allow students to earn three to six hours of course credit (CHST 398).
- May be used to fulfill the SAGES Capstone experience in some disciplines. (Mann Child Policy Externships are available and cross-listed as Capstones in anthropology, childhood studies, and psychology).
- Require a commitment of at least 10 hours per week (150 hours over the semester) to a specific student/preceptor designed project at the designated agency or office.
- May provide a stipend for overtime work, pending the availability of funding.
- Are available fall, spring, & summer semesters.
- Junior or senior status preferred, but qualified sophomores will be considered.
- Completion of at least two social science classes preferably with a child or family focus.
- 3.2 overall GPA with a 3.4 GPA in major.
- Students who have successfully completed CHST 301, or who concurrently enroll in CHST 301, will be given first priority.
To apply for a Mann Child Policy Externship, submit:
- A completed application and a 2-3 page essay. Click here to access the application form and essay instructions.
- A current resume.
- A photo of yourself (to help us put a face to your name).
- One letter of recommendation from a professor.
Application Deadlines (unless posted otherwise):
- November 1st for a spring externship.
- March 30th for a summer or fall externship.
- Note: Priority will be given to applications received by the deadline, but applications received after these dates may still be considered.
Support for the Mann Child Policy Externships:
Alumni siblings Carol Mann (Flora Stone Mather College, 1971) and Robert Mann (Western Reserve College 1973) so valued their experiences as students that they generously support today’s undergraduates, giving them opportunities for life-changing experiences beyond the classroom. Through the Mann’s generosity, students have traveled throughout the world to participate in research projects on children. The Mann Endowment Fund currently supports Mann Child Policy Externships, as well as other experiential learning opportunities offered through the childhood studies minor, such as spring break trips to Washington D.C. and attendance at child-related conferences.